HOME ----------SERVICES ----------PORTFOLIO----------CLIENTS----------BLOG ----------CONTACT
Joe Napurano -PRINCIPAL Akilez Design Consutltants.
An Industrial Designer with over 20 years of experience in the consumer product market. Accomplished in a wide range of product design. Combining fashion, perfomance, technology and art. Special expertise in computer aided technologies and processes.-Established Akilez Design Consultants in 1998.
Prior to starting Akilez Design Consultants
Reebok International Ltd
Senior Designer, Footwear Design Department
Worked within the existing processes of Reebok to innovate, patent, amortize and expedite product.
* Designed product and managed staff designers for the Footwear Division in several categories.
* Met with specific accounts (domestic and international) to develop their own footwear programs.
* Managed the Reebok Visualization System - digital photography- (a.k.a. RVS) and the system technicians.
* Designed initial concepts that lead to Reebok's "Zerun" watch.
* Designed the "Cybernet", Reebok's technical Futervision basketball shoe , (displayed in Atlanta and Singapore).
Designer, CFD/Classic footwear
* Classic projects included designs for Fitness, CVO's, Running, Athletic Casual, Walking and logo treatments.
* Production on CFD and Classic projects were approximately 1.5 million pair for 1 year.
* Overseas development trips to mainland China, Thailand, Indonesia, Korea and Hong Kong.
* Designed the hero product for Basketball , Tennis and Cross Training. eg. Shawn Kemp's "Aftershok", and the "Shaq Omega".
* Designed the high-visibility Olympic apparel for Atlanta 1996, the "Spinvector". The design is still used for Reeboks' track and field stars.
* Initiated and implemented a design department CAD system program in '96. (no design systems or plan had been in place)
* Played a key role in outside projects, brainstorm sessions and off site trips to Hollywood, Hong Kong, London, Washington DC, etc.
Director of Design and Product Development
Established and developed a permanent design role within Ryka. Created projects and parameters to propel the brand.
* Ryka grew in two years from 8 to 16+ million dollars in sales.
* Designed product for Aerobic/Step (Ultralite), Walking, Walk-Run, Running, Cross/Run-Train, CVO's, and Hiking.
* Developed/produced category research, product concepts, technologies (several patents pending), material specs,
- color pallets, print textile design, outsole/midsole engineering specs, as well as feature & benefit technical sheets.
* Coordinated, designed and produced product catalogs, annual reports, Ryka Training Body mailers, the national print ad campaign
* Designed initial graphic identity/collateral for the Ryka ROSE Foundation (indepentdent non-profit for violence prevention).
* Created, coordinated and directed Ryka's only TV commercial.
Hyde Athletic Industries Inc (a.k.a. Saucony).
Designer/Art Director, product design and marketing liaison
Established and developed an Art Director role within Hyde. Created projects and parameters to propel the brand.
* Designed and developed the Saucony make up line of athletic footwear.
* Design programs included shoes for running, walking, aerobic, cross training and hiking.
* Designed and developed Spot-Bilt baseball, football, coaching, soccer and multi-purpose cleated shoes.
* Support work included engineering drawings, associated collateral and packaging.
Rhode Island School of Design Bachelor of Fine Arts, 1988 Industrial Design
Alias, 3D modeling training - Continuing Education Program
Matra Datavision, Detroit MI Strim Certificate program, 3D engineering
Broadcast Designers of New England, Viewpoint, Needham MA Quantel Paintbox course
AWARDS and MENTORING
*Reebok Product Excellence Award (for Price/Value product)
*Reebok Incentive Award 1996 (for Olympic apparel and corporate logo design)
*First place Superb Gallery of Printing (two times)
*Judged and mentored for the Reebok Design'O'vation contest and internship.
©2009 Akilez Design Consultants